Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Sterling Grocery, Revisited

Ira Paraphernalia


Paraffin! (You use it when canning fruits)



YES! It works!






You can have lunch at the Sterling too, Randa will whip you a sandwich together!

Celebrating Ira's kids





Not very many people would know what to do with this little push plow.



Randa's collection of Madam Alexander Dolls!  TREASURE!





Original to the store... 1930!

The Bolt bin

Wisdom on a carton!  It says, "It isn't what you pay, it's what it costs you!" 



I beautiful wooden bolt bin that is I guess 6 or 8 sides.





Randa's Dad in front of the store, many many years ago.

Randa






Add caption

Hoe and Rake Rack
Because Sterling Grocery is such a neat place to visit, I returned to take more pictures of the treasures that Tommy and Randa have preserved in this uncanny place.  I honestly cannot think of another store that I have ever been in that has kept itself like Sterling Grocery has.  Most owners want to update and change and modernize and in doing so they lose the magic of a place.
For instance, the bolt bin.... It is the old mailboxes out of the post office that was housed right next door to the store, Randa's dad simply turned it around and used it for bolts.  When you look inside it you can see the glass doors with numbers on them.
Randa and Tommy's lives have been spent down at the store.  They live next door to it, their kids grew up here and their grandkids are growing up here.
Truly, Ira would be lost without the store and if anything changed it would send us all into culture shock!
Thanks for letting me nose around Tommy!  I loved the stories!

About Me

My photo
Hi! I am Carol! Browse through my blog and my website. If you like what you see call me and let's set up a time to take your picture.

Carol McCowen Photography

Welcome to my blog!
Browse through the pictures. You will notice that alot of them are personal. It just helps you to get to know me. Now all we lack is me getting to know you.
One thing that can help me know you is for you to call me at 325.573.5238 at the house
325.575.3696 on my cell
You can also email me at mccowenfarms@wtconnect.com
or go on to my website and contact me there.
Looking forward to it!

Blog Archive