Wednesday, February 2, 2011

21 Years

 When she came to us she was old.  Older than a dog ever ought to live to be.  She didn't really trust us but you could tell she knew her choices were limited.
The first time I ever saw Scooter she came boiling out from under our neighbor's,  Mamie and J.B. Patterson's, car port and in no uncertain terms was telling us to leave.  Quite frankly I didn't like her, she seemed very grouchy to me.  That was 13 years ago.  Since then we have lost J.B. and then Mamie then Scooter became Renee's dog, their daugher.  Occasionally Scooter would come to visit us in the last few years which at her age was remarkable due to the distance.  She managed to out smart the coyotes and cars successfully but age is something that I guess no one outsmarts. 
This cold snap we have had was more than Scooter could handle.  Congestive Heart Failure and daily medicines which no longer worked had taken a hard toll on her.  Yesterday, inspite of having a warm place to sleep we found her in the snow.  We thought then we would either have to watch her die or have her put down due to what seemed like torture she was experiencing.  Shawn came in the house to take her the vet and like she has so many times she fought him, jumped up, shook and ran to the kitchen.  I texted Renee and told her that once again no one was answering Death's Door for Scooter!  We laughed and just kept her warm the rest of the day.  But today after being inside all night and day she just wasn't doing well and I went ahead and took her to the vet.
Scooter was a good old dog.  We grew to love her very much and we were amazed at her ability to outsmart death over and over again!  But what was remarkable is how she loved Raven and Emily.  She slept on the floor at the foot of Raven's bed most every day and some nights.  Raven was her caretaker and her best bud.
I had to laugh several months ago when we thought Scooter was dieing.  I called Renee to keep her abreast of the situation and she assured me that she had years prior lead Scooter in the Prayer of Salvation at a time when SHE was sure Scooter was not going to live!
We know that Scooter is today wherever dogs go when they die.  I don't know where that is, Heaven I hope but I don't know, but if it is Heaven without a doubt she is with both J.B. and Mamie.
Thanks for letting us borrow your dog Renee!

About Me

My photo
Hi! I am Carol! Browse through my blog and my website. If you like what you see call me and let's set up a time to take your picture.

Carol McCowen Photography

Welcome to my blog!
Browse through the pictures. You will notice that alot of them are personal. It just helps you to get to know me. Now all we lack is me getting to know you.
One thing that can help me know you is for you to call me at 325.573.5238 at the house
325.575.3696 on my cell
You can also email me at mccowenfarms@wtconnect.com
or go on to my website and contact me there.
Looking forward to it!

Blog Archive